loader

Dozens Reported Killed In Israeli Strike On Rafah

At least 35 people have been killed and scores injured in an Israeli air strike on a camp for displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, the Hamas-run health ministry says.

Videos from the scene in the Tal al-Sultan area on Sunday night showed a large explosion and intense fires burning.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had killed two senior Hamas officials and that it was reviewing reports that civilians were harmed.

Hours earlier, Hamas had fired eight rockets from Rafah towards Tel Aviv - the first long-range attacks on the central Israeli city since January.

The incidents came two days after the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordered Israel to immediately halt its military offensive in Rafah, where hundreds of thousands of people are still believed to be sheltering.
Getty
  
The Palestinian Red Crescent said Sunday’s air strike targeted tents for displaced people near a UN facility in Tal al-Sultan, about 2km (1.2 miles) north-west of the centre of Rafah.

Graphic footage showed a number of structures ablaze next to a banner saying “Kuwaiti Peace Camp '1'”, as well as first responders and bystanders carrying several bodies.

"We were sitting at the door of the house safely. Suddenly we heard the sound of a missile,” witness Fadi Dukhan told Reuters news agency.

“We ran and found the street covered in smoke," he said, adding that he and others saw a girl and a young man who had been killed by the blast.

The IDF said in a statement on Sunday that it had carried out an air strike in Tal al-Sultan that eliminated two Hamas leaders - Yassin Rabia, the chief of staff of the armed group’s fighters in the occupied West Bank, and Khaled Nagar, another senior official in the West Bank wing.

“The IDF is aware of reports indicating that as a result of the strike and fire that was ignited several civilians in the area were harmed. The incident is under review,” the statement added.

An initial statement insisted that the strike was “carried out against legitimate targets under international law, using precise munitions and on the basis of precise intelligence that indicated Hamas' use of the area”.

In a speech on Monday, the IDF’s advocate-general described the incident in Rafah as “very difficult” and said it “regrets any harm to uninvolved civilians during the war”.
Reuters
 
A senior official in Gaza’s Hamas-run civil defence agency said on Monday morning that more than 40 people were killed. Mohammad al-Mughayyir told AFP that the agency’s rescue workers “saw charred bodies and dismembered limbs”, as well as “cases of amputations, wounded children, women and the elderly”.

The Hamas-run health ministry put the death toll at 35 overnight, while Médecins Sans Frontières said 15 dead people and dozens of wounded had been brought to a trauma stabilisation point which the charity supports.

“We are horrified by this deadly event, which shows once again that nowhere is safe. We continue to call for an immediate and sustained ceasefire in Gaza,” MSF added.

The UN agency for Palestinian refugees, Unrwa, described the reports as “horrifying”.

“Gaza is hell on earth. Images from last night are yet another testament to that,” said a post on X, formerly Twitter.

The head of the Hamas-run government media office, Ismail al-Thawabta, said the camp was away from recent military action and in a designated “safe zone”, to which the IDF had told civilians in eastern Rafah to flee.

Qatar meanwhile warned that the strike could complicate its mediation efforts to reach a ceasefire and hostage release deal.